Healthy packed lunch ideas for kids
Sep 12 2018
I think its fair to say that most people struggle with what to make kids for packed lunches. It’s tricky to get that balance of healthy foods your kid will eat but still being nutritious. There’s nothing more frustrating than getting a full lunch box back when you’ve spent time trying to make something healthy for your child.
I’ll be showing you some ideas that will prove to you that packed lunches can be easy, delicious and healthy.
Some tips that may help:
- Getting your children involved in planning and preparing their lunchbox – when children select and help making foods, they are more likely to try them.
- Try not to overwhelm children with a wide variety of foods. Children often like to choose from a small variety of foods.
- Doing some baking can also be a fun way of getting kids involved – healthy ideas include mini quiche, spinach and cheese muffins, black bean chocolate brownies
- Making a shopping list and preparation is important.
- A fun lunch box or container can help getting the kids excited about lunch if it’s something they’ve chosen or something that they have an interest
- Try make is fun – draw a smiley face on a banana skin or boiled egg or making fun bags.
Aim to include a non-sugary drink (water or cold herbal teas), a portion of protein (chicken, ham, eggs, fish or beans), a portion of starch (wholemeal bread/wrap or pitta bread or pasta, potatoes), one or more portion of vegetables and a portion of fruit.
Try to offer variety so that the kids don’t get bored.