Nourishing Pumpkin and Fennel Salad
Oct 30 2017
This Nourishing Pumpkin and Fennel Salad includes many superfood ingredients to keep you healthy during the colder autumn season.
key ingredients and their benefits for a healthy diet:
- Pumpkin – Tastes amazing when roasted and also is a fantastic vegetable full of vitamin A, as vitamin A is crucial for beautiful nails, hair, skin, teeth and bones.
- Fennel – Aids digestion therefore remedying gas, bloating and indigestion. helping to soothe your stomach.
- Ginger – Is a powerful anti-inflammatory that can aid in digestion, and is great for boosting your immune system.
- Red Onion – Onions are the perfect warming food that can boost your circulation ad fight disease with their antiviral and detoxifying properties. they are a great source of vitamin B for healthy nails and hair but this amazing vegetable can also protect your skin from UVB damage, slows ageing and prevent acne.
- Flaxseed oil – Is great if you are lacking in omega 3’s in your diet. flaxseed is full of Phytochemicals called Lignans which aid digestion and help prevent breast cancer due to their ability to mimic estrogen’s in the body.
- Garlic – Similar to onion garlic is fantastic for inflammatory which is great for preventing disease and helping skin conditions like acne and skin sensitivity. Garlic has good antibacterial and anti-fungal properties which supports a health gut flora.
- Chia Seeds – Are a great source of cell-strengthening omega 3 fatty acids which protect the skin from sun damage and help reduce inflammation. these seeds are packed with soluble fibre that helps reduce bloating and makes you feel fuller with fewer calories.
- Lime – High in vitamin C which is important for a healthy metabolism.
- pumpkin seed- Are one of the best plant based sources of zinc which is an essential anti-inflammatory beauty mineral which encourages hair growth, strong nails and clear skin. a great snack to help clear acne. They are also a good source of amino acid tryptophan which helps produce calming, relaxing serotonin in the body which is great when you’re feeling anxious. They have a whole list of fantastic ingredients like omega 3, vitamin A, B, k, magnesium, iron and copper.
- Mint – Helps to ease indigestion and promotes detox.
This will be a perfect side dish on a cold autumn evening when your immune system needs a boost to help fire up your systems body’s defences and prevent cold and flu.
serves 4 as a side dish:
1kg of pumpkin, peeled, deseeded and cut into slices.
2 red onions pealed and cut into quarters
few fresh sage leaves
half a tsp of chilli flakes
3 tbsp of melted coconut oil or butter
2 fennel bulbs
the juice of 1 lime
3 tbsp of flaxseed oil or olive oil
1 tsp of freshly grated ginger
100g of baby spinach
250g of cooked quinoa
half a garlic clove crushed
1tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves (plus extra for serving)
handful of chia seeds
salt, to taste
pre-heat the oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas mark 6.
place the pumpkin in a roasting tray.
place the onion slices nestled next to the pumpkin slices.
throw over the sage leaves, chilli flakes and a pinch of salt.
drizzle over the melted coconut oil or butter, making sure everything is evenly coated.
roast in the oven for 50 minutes until cooked through and golden.
while that is cooking, with a sharp knife finely slice the fennel into thin strips, disregarding the bottom.
place in a bowl with half the lime juice and 1 table spoon of flaxseed oil or olive oil.
mix the garlic, ginger, mint, remaining two table spoons of flaxseed or olive oil and remaining lime juice into another bowl with a pinch of salt and mix well.
once the pumpkin is cooked, gently combine with the baby spinach, quinoa and fennel.
(optional) crumble desired amount of feta cheese on top.
scatter over the chia seeds,pumpkin seeds and drizzle dressing.