Orchard Barn Open Day
Tuesday September 20, 2016 10am – 4pm
We are very excited to be hosting our first Open Day, a day of informative talks, workshops, classes and treatments, all free of charge:
10am – 11.30 am Gut Health by Dr Sally Moorcroft
With Growing evidence that many chronic conditions including allergies, autoimmune disease, IBS, IBD, arthritis, migraines, depression, autism and behavioural problems are linked to gut health and flora, Dr Sally Moorcroft will explore what can affect your gut health and what can be done to repair and rebalance it. With handouts and recipe ideas included.
11.30 am – 12.30pm Dementia Friends by Rachel West
Rachel will give an informative, interesting and informal presentation on dementia and things you can do to help and assist those suffering from it.
2pm – 3pm The Brain Food Diet by Dr Wojciech Gierynski
Modern data supports the view that diet is as important to psychiatry as it is to cardiology, endocrinology, and gastroenterology. Science suggests that diet is crucial in both reducing the risk of mental disorders (prevention) and treatment of existing conditions. In the recent years there has been an unprecedented growth in both the quantity and quality of research directed at further exploring the relationship between nutrition and mental health. This resulted in designing scientifically supported Brain Food Diet.
The workshop offers an opportunity to look into some of the above-mentioned evidence, discuss links between nutrition and mental health and brainstorm healthy meal plans.
3pm – 4pm Aromatherapy by Dr Sally Moorcroft
An introduction to the wonderful world of essential oils. We will discuss the properties of the most commonly used essential oils, how to blend and select them, base oils, how to use essential oils in massage and how to treat many minor conditions.
Classes and Workshops
10am – 1pm Introduction to Mindfulness with Suzanne Fysh
Suzanne Fysh gives practical and hands on introduction to mindfulness that explores the following themes:
- What is meant by mindfulness
- How mindfulness works
- The reported benefits of mindfulness
- Mindfulness practices and application
1pm – 2pm Pilates Taster Session with Kathy Cummings
Suitable for all levels Kathy will take you through this taster session and highlights the benefits of Pilates practice.
She is a Member of Body Control Pilates Association
• REPs level 3 Advanced Pilates Instructor
• REPs level 4 Specialist Exercise Instructor in management of Low Back Pain
• A Certified Back4Good Practitioner
Kathy trained with the renowned Body Control Pilates in London which has an excellent reputation for safe and effective teaching. Training is extensive and members must attend regular courses to maintain membership.
2pm – 3pm Yoga with Carmen Bratton
Suitable for all levels Carmen will guide you through a few basic Yoga stretches and highlight the benefits.
3pm – 4pm Alexander Technique Workshop with Jane Clappison
The benefits of learning the Alexander Technique from a STAT qualified Alexander Technique Teacher are many;
You can –
- Reduce (and abolish) unnecessary pain and discomfort
- Reduce effort and move with ease
- Reduce the experience of feeling you have no time in the day and learn to chose how to be more focussed with less strain
- Reduce the effects of anxiety and improve technique to calmly, effortlessly, perform in your particular field (music, acting, dancing, any stage-related performance)
- Improve balance & co-ordination
- An extensive study found that the Alexander Technique is also beneficial for back pain
- Clinical Reflexology Taster Sessions* with Karen Spackman
- Indian Head and Neck Massage with Gina Reader
- Hand, Arm and Foot Massage with Jayne Stevenson of The Courtyard Beauty Salon
All talks, classes, workshops and treatments are free of charge*, but places are limited so booking is essential.
We will also have light refreshments and samples of the food we stock and Dr Sally Moorcroft is on hand between talks in the shop area to discuss our range of professional quality supplements we have available, so do pop along to have a look.
* There is a £5 charge for reflexology taster sessions, which is redeemable on your first visit