Makes approx 2x 60g jars
Stage 1: Making the infused oil
- 1½ bulbs of garlic
- 25g fresh or dried thyme (Thymus vulgaris)
- 100 – 130ml olive oil
- Peel garlic cloves and chop roughly.
- Layer garlic and thyme in a clean jam jar until ¾ full.
- Cover with olive oil until the jar is full. Seal with lid.
- Place near a radiator for 10 – 14 days, shaking the jar each day.
- Strain the oil through a muslin or jelly bag.
- Store in a clear jar in a cool, dark place and label.
This infused oil can be rubbed onto the chest, and will last for up to 1 year.
Stage 2 : Making the ointment:
- 100ml infused oil (see above)
- 9g beeswax
- Place infused oil and beeswax into glass heatproof bowl and stand over a saucepan of hot water.
- Bring the water to the boil and simmer until beeswax has melted. Remove from heat
- Pour into clean jars and label. Allow to set and then put on the lid.
Rub this ointment onto the chest as needed. The rub has a strong aroma, so wear an old T- shirt under your nightwear when you use it. It will keep for about a year.
Thyme is antiseptic and expectorant and garlic has natural antibiotic properties. This is an excellent rub for colds, chesty coughs, flu and sore throats and is suitable for children.